How Can I Retrieve My Personal Possessions From the House

Posted By Adam Denton, Personal Injury,Uncategorized On August 22, 2016

If you are going through a legal separation, a divorce or simply ending any type of domestic relationship, you have the right to claim your possessions. This is true whether they are in a shared home or apartment. What can you can do to make sure that you get your things back after a relationship ends?

You Should Try to Arrange a Time With Your Former Partner

The first thing that you should try is to talk with your former partner to arrange a time to pick up your stuff. Ideally, you will pick a time when he or she is at work or otherwise out of the apartment or home. This enables you to get in, get your property and leave as soon as possible. It also eliminates the odds that the two of you get into a physical or verbal altercation when you get your clothes and other belongings back.

A Police Escort May Be Available

If you can’t arrange a time when your partner won’t be home to get your stuff or you think that you are being watched, a police escort may be available. An officer will stand guard while you load your things into a truck, van or any other vehicle that you bring. If need be, the officer will order your spouse or partner to leave the premises for as long as it would reasonably take to complete the property retrieval process.

A Court Order May Be Necessary

In some cases, it may require a court order to get your things back. The court will designate a time when you are allowed to get your property without any harassment or interference form any other parties. If your belongings are being held in storage or have been moved, you may be allowed time at each place where your property is being held. In some cases, a neutral location may be chosen where your stuff will be waiting for you to pick up.

Can You Get the Cash Instead?

Depending on the circumstances in your case, you may be able to get the cash value of your belongings. For instance, if you have a couch at the home that you shared with your former partner, he or she may be willing to give you money to keep it. This may be the best option if you are forced to downsize after a split or otherwise could use the money more than you could use the couch.

Your property remains your property no matter what happens in a relationship. If you bought something or had something before the relationship started, it is yours to keep for the rest of your life until you gift or sell it. Therefore, don’t be afraid to call the police or get a court order if you can’t get your things back through good faith negotiations.